J Fraser & Sons Ltd, is Invercargill and Southland’s longest established family owned and operated Funeral Home and Monumental Masons, located on the corner of Esk and Doon Streets, Invercargill.
Over many decades, the Fraser family and funeral directing staff at J Fraser and Sons have helped grieving families at their time of need, throughout the Southland region and beyond, and have done so in a manner that is often described as uniquely Southland. Our additional premises at 306 Great North Road Winton, means that we are able to offer prompt and professional service throughout the region.
We offer you an experienced and friendly team of funeral directors and embalmers who will guide you through the many aspects of arranging a suitable farewell for your loved one. Our team will demonstrate to you the emphasis that we place on meeting the needs and exceeding the expectations of every family who chooses us to take care of their loved one. Above all, we will allow you whatever time you and your family need to say your last goodbyes within the privacy of our well-appointed viewing room and lounge, or of your own home, and at the time of the more formal funeral service.
At J Fraser and Sons, we understand that every life is different and unique, and each life should be reflected in its own way. No matter what arrangements you consider appropriate for your loved one, or for your own farewell, you can be sure that our staff will have the experience and compassion to carry out those wishes in the most professional and caring manner possible.
Funeral Home Facilities
Our Funeral Home facilities are purpose built to enable complete flexibility in the type of funeral service that is being arranged – from a private family farewell, to a more formal public farewell in our spacious, award-winning Chapel.
Some of the many features of our premises include:
- Modern Chapel with excellent audio system, and One Room Live Streaming
- Large screens for photographic presentations, viewable from Chapel, Foyer and Lounge
- A selection of live musical accompaniments – stringed piano, digital piano, and electronic church organ
- Chapel accommodation for 300+ people
- Peaceful viewing room and family lounge – a private place for family to gather to express their last farewells.
- Reception Lounge – a place to relax after the more formal ceremony, to share your memories over a good Southland cuppa, and to receive comfort from family and friends.
- Office and family rooms, offer a pleasant environment for the arrangement of a funeral service, and for family to gather prior to the service.
- Modern embalming and dressing rooms – families are encouraged to assist with final finishing
- Large car park with provision for 70+ vehicles
- Our Headstone Memorial Division – we can provide and install a permanent memorial at the Cemetery or Crematorium
After the Service
Following the funeral service and a time of refreshment in our reception lounge, your funeral director will assist you in every way possible at the burial service, or the final committal at the Crematorium. We recognise that the final ceremony at the Cemetery or Crematorium is a very poignant moment, and a very important part in the process of letting go. The time-honoured tradition of pallbearers bearing the casket to its final resting place has a unique and significant role in that process. It is deeply symbolic of our natural desire to accompany the casket and ensure the safe passage of our loved one from this world to the next.
At the end of all ceremonies, our funeral director will offer you a handshake of farewell, but will want you to know that he or she can be further contacted at any time for advice about procedures for the collecting or interment of cremation ashes, marking of the grave, resources available locally for bereavement support , where to get the New Zealand Death Certificate, or how to go about finalising the estate; in fact anything relating to the journey that all families go through during the weeks and months following a bereavement.
In addition to our usual office hours of 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday, our Funeral Directing staff are available on a rostered basis on week nights and weekends.
Our company office is situated at Cnr Esk and Doon Streets, (or 199 Esk Street), Invercargill, Ph 0800-184095, or 03-2184095; Email: email@example.com
Our premises in Winton, operate as Winton and Districts Funeral Services, are located at 306 Great North Road, Winton. Ph 03-2367586. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org